Sunday, April 13, 2008

Why I Blog

I’ve been a gamer ever since I was a kid. One of my earliest memories is playing Duck Hunt at a Christmas party on his new console. Since then I’ve been hooked. My first console was a Genesis that’s still in a closet somewhere at home probably sitting next to a pile of classics. We (my brother and I) eventually convinced my mom to get a SNES, and I quickly discovered that not all games were created equal. In search of an “authoritative” guide to game buying I started reading the enthusiast magazines and around that time I decided that I wanted to write about games. Fast forward ten years and I’m now a college student at The University of Arkansas double majoring in Accounting and Finance with a minor in Journalism. I’ve realized that if I ever wanted to break into the industry I’d need to become a better writer and that is the main goal of this blog. My secondary goal is to provide an interesting viewpoint on the goings on in the gaming industry and provide something interesting to read once or twice a week.

The blog is not a news blog. I don’t have inside sources, and I can’t compete with the dedicated (and paid) writers that work for the gaming sites. The majority of the blog posts will be interpreting the weekly news and providing “features” which are really just weird gaming related things I’m doing. My first feature is a retrospective look at GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. I’ll also be posting about interesting movies, TV, and music.

I’ve been reading blogs on and off now for about three years and have decided that all the interesting blogs follow two rules.

I. Stay on subject; you will never see me posting about the mundane goings on of my day to day life. Unless you’re a celebrity or family no one cares about you. All I do is go to class, study, hang out and occasionally work. My life is boring that’s why I play games.

II. Post regularly; there are two reasons I will follow this rule. When I read a blog I always appreciate someone that updates regularly. The second reason is because I need to improve my writing and the best way to do this is to write as much as possible

These are the reasons I started this blog. If you like what you read comment and check back later this week for a first Retroview of GTA 3.

1 comment:

sixpiece said...

im feelin this dude, nice
http://mlgcollegegamer.blogspot.com/
check me out